Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

d_rugged
    BASIC RIDER

hey guys just wonder, is the toboggan in the game yet? if so could someone give me a quick idea of how you do it, ive been trying for hours to land it and it seems like im missing something. also wondering about the decade and tuck knee no hander. also what tricks or modifications would you guys like to see? personally when i imagined a game like this i always though of modifiers, like L2 was left leg, r2 was right, l1 left hand, r1 right hand, and if you say, held l2 and r2 and swung the stick, itd be a tail whip. or all 4 and held back on the stick you did a nothing. idk, was always an idea but i know it has its problems aswell. but anyways, thoughts?

replicant
    replicant
    MODERATOR (CREATOR)

@d_rugged The controls you are describing are similar in structure to those found in the Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX series. BMX is loosely based upon the Flick-It system from the EA Skate games with semblances of Thrasher: Skate and Destroy by Z-Axis Ltd thrown in for good measure. The basis for the game is a more organic flow to doing tricks and a small dissection of the complexity within their real life counterpart. If they just make it another press a button for trick or basic modifier game it becomes another THPS style Arcade game which goes against the design philosophy. However, things do change as we have seen with this build making the Hop system easier to use, but I don’t see the game having its very foundation altered as suggested.

As for the Toboggan it’s a fairly easy trick that looks harder than it is and I’ll describe it using the Xbox 360 controller for example. Hold the RS DOWN (This is similar to LOAD/PRIME/etc you’ve seen in other sport titles) and then flick the RS straight UP. When it has hit the top immediately let go of the RS which sends the stick back to its Neutral position. As you let go of the RS immediately Press the RT (Hold RT to extend the duration of the Toboggan) to perform the trick.

The key to the tricks in BMX are timing, repetition and precision. If you are having issues getting the tricks to work, then I suggest going into Slow-Motion (Left of D-Pad) and practicing them in there to get the proper motion and timing down. Good Luck!

Bear "replicant" Powell

mocky
    FULL-TIME RIDER

Talking about tricks, will we be able to modify them later on? like example the backflip i tried hours and hours and yet done it once when i didnt even mean to, why not just allow us to hold LT and pull back? maybe ask the community on conrols and vote that way?? im sure people would rather hold LT and pull back then do all these different buttons at one time, would be much better, also please fix the slow-motion video, when in slow-motion it doesnt show you in video just makes you vanish to the next spot you were at when you’re out of slow-motion

Sam
    Sam
    PRO RIDER

@mocky You make some good points.

Scooters are for fags

d_rugged
    BASIC RIDER

i didn’t mean a trick system like dave mirra, it would still be all done on the right stick, the triggers and shoulder buttons you hold down while doing the trick just dictate which body parts you are going to use, i.e., like i said, hold down both trigger will use both your legs, then flick the stick to the right or left and he would do a tail whip. the only reason i mention a style like this is it allows for more tricks in the game because as of right now, they only have as many tricks as can be mapped on the thumb stick, use triggers and bumpers in combinations can give you a whole new set of tricks on the stick, both triggers, one trigger, one bumper, one bumper one trigger. and just make them in correlation with the body parts that would be used primarily in the trick so it is in some way intuitive. brakes could be triangle and square, or Y and X, and maybe foot jams on X and O or A and B. but this is all just theoretical. and I’m just saying it again to explain that i didn’t mean anything like a dave mirra game. while i did love those games just for the pure creativity you could have with tricks, i love the flick it controls much more, as the offer a variance in a trick, flick it fast, trick goes fast, flick it big, you go big, that’s whats cool, and it feels more like your learning the trick, then just pressing a button and watching it play out. but anyways, like i stated at the beginning of this page, i absolutely love this game, its direction, and that it exists, and thank everyone who works on it for letting me live out my bmx dreams lol

d_rugged
    BASIC RIDER

also how do you do the decade and wallride, the image that shows what to do on the left stick in the decade description wont show up. same as the right stick image on the wallride description. i take it they are the same image so maybe just letting me know what that image is would help, thanks again

mocky
    FULL-TIME RIDER

im gonna be honest the way they have showed how to do tricks is very silly, id rather read words then try read a setup with the sticks they show

replicant
    replicant
    MODERATOR (CREATOR)

@d_rugged The trick system you are talking about is still basically a DMFBMX modifier system. If you notice, the RT/LT already are used as hand modifiers in the applicable tricks. Other modification buttons will be added in due time as they become necessary. One thing you have to take into consideration with the BMX trick system is that LS and RS handle Weight Distribution in different fashions so that actually gives you abilities to alter tricks on the fly without a button modification trigger.

@mocky The design of the game is to give a fairly accurate representation of BMX tricks. This falls in line with the trick styles as performed in games like Skate or Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. The timing and complexity of some tricks is part of the initial learning curve. Flips are actually incredibly easy to perform. Yes, some people would rather have another press X to do 10 tricks than actually work at figuring out the nuances of performing a trick. BMX is not that type of game though and has never presented itself in that way. The controller layout pic is a work in progress so it will improve with time. For now it is a foundation mainly to help keyboard people know the assigned keys and give everyone a general idea of how to perform a trick.

DECADE: The missing LS image is to press LEFT or RIGHT on the stick. If you are doing a Decade by starting from RS DOWN and performing a half-circle to the LEFT and UP, then you would Press the LS LEFT for example.

WALLRIDE: The missing RS image is to press LEFT or RIGHT on the stick. If the wall you want to ride on is on your Left side, then Press the RS RIGHT in order to lean your bike tires into the wall for example.

FLIP: Hold LS UP or DOWN (Depending on flip desired. Can also be tapped during the trick for faster rotation, but requires a bit more practice) and Hold RS DOWN (as long as you desire to Pre-Load it), then as you are exiting the transition or going off a ledge quickly flick the RS UP and let go of the RS so it can go back to Neutral position. You can even augment it with the RS LEFT or RIGHT after trick starts in order to make it more of a Rodeo Flip for example.

Bear "replicant" Powell

d_rugged
    BASIC RIDER

so is the decade just a tailwhip still but since you spin into it, it appears as the bike doesnt move and you move around it, or does it actually have its own animation?

replicant
    replicant
    MODERATOR (CREATOR)

@d_rugged It has its own animation, but your description is not really off from what the trick execution is.

Bear "replicant" Powell
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.